thirty-nine

 


September has always been my favourite month, and I'm sure a large part of that has to do with the fact that it's my birthday month (along with a not insignificant number of other people)! I love September weather -- the tide of temperature climbs from cool mornings to hot afternoons and then recedes to pleasant evenings, and darkness falls at a civilized hour (7:30 p.m. around here). and of course, school starting again was a huge landmark in my year as a child, and now again as my own kids are starting school. I welcomed it for myself and now I welcome it for them ;) 

this year, Nick gave me my birthday present early, on Friday (two days before my birthday). I had picked up Caliente pizza for dinner using a birthday reward for a free medium one-topping pizza -- I chose pickles! -- and of course we got another cheese pizza for the kids. after dinner he asked in a somewhat leading way if I wanted to have a campfire and make s'mores. when I came out to the yard, he had set up my new zero gravity recliner chair, complete with an attached tray table and drink holder. did I specifically request this very chair? yes. was I any less grateful to have received it than if he had magically deduced I'd wanted one? absolutely not. it is SO comfortable and I can mostly recline myself back in it now without shrieking (if you go all the way back, it kind of feels like you're going to tip over backwards, but you won't! you won't! I keep telling myself.) 


Cece took this "special effects" picture that cracks me up

Reese's peanut butter cup s'more. yes, please and thank you


that evening I noticed a bit of scratchy throat but didn't think much of it. we had planned to go out for dinner as a family on Saturday night, either to Hofbrauhaus or Penn Brewery to feast on German food and a stein or two of beer. my throat was still bothering me on Saturday morning, and as the day wore on, I felt worse and worse, with congestion, fatigue, and some achiness. no fever or cough, but of course I took a Covid test. it was negative, but I still wasn't up to doing much. Nick took over kid duties and fed them leftovers for dinner and I basically slept from 4 p.m. on. 

Sunday morning (my birthday), I woke up feeling completely fine apart from a little bit of a runny nose. (as an aside, I have dealt with minor illness this way for my entire life. unless it's something more persistent, like strep or Covid, which I have had twice, if I can just sleep for a day, I usually bounce right back. odd but good, I guess?) I took another Covid test because Covid is a sneaky little bugger, and it remained negative.  the rest of the family was fine too, so I dropped off the older girls at catechism class and went through the Starbucks drive through to redeem my free birthday drink. 

triple venti white chocolate mocha. according to Birthday Law, you have to order a venti and an extra shot for your birthday drink. if I had paid full price for this, it would have cost $8.02, which is insane. 


then we went to church and afterwards Nick suggested a family photo, which I am so glad to have because usually I'm the one behind the camera/phone. and the girls even cooperated, which was even more notable! 


Nick then directed us to make a "mad face"

a close up. Elizabeth wins the prize. please note her beloved Christmas blankie which comes with us everywhere.


since we missed our grand plans for dinner out the night before, we settled for our other favourite family haunt for lunch: the local Chinese buffet. I could pretend we only go there because it's easy with the kids, but I'd be lying. I love their lo mein and General Tso's and basil chicken and egg rolls of my own accord and I'm not ashamed to admit it. 

then Nick headed back to church to play for the vespers service, and my lady friends arrived for a little celebration! (I had kept them apprised of my symptoms and they were willing to risk it.) we took a bottle of cabernet sauvignon out to the backyard and then feasted on sushi and a delicious almond cake Amelia had bought from a bake sale (the label specifically said "delicious almond cake", and it was not wrong). 

this was called the Lover Boat and it was a delight! it said it would serve 2 people but the four of us were quite content with this plus the accompanying salad, soup, and brussels sprouts I roasted while we were chatting

Nick arrived back home and proceeded to present me with another cake, a decadent chocolate truffle concoction. meanwhile, Greta took over cooking dinner for the family with her standby meal, pesto pasta (the roasted brussels sprouts are technically supposed to be mixed into the pasta, but the ladies enjoyed them much more than the kids ever have). 

it was so good!



then we were off in a rush to meet our Lyft and head downtown. I invested in the arts once again ;) and purchased a subscription to the Broadway national tour performances that come to our local theater throughout the year. my standard ticket is for the Sunday evening show, and the first performance of the season just happened to be on my birthday evening! 

Amelia and I are wearing the same lip gloss, Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Gloss Bomb. (according to Sephora, the full name is Gloss Bomb Cream Color Drip Lip Cream, which is just ridiculous, but the gloss is fantastic!) the last time we all got together, for Blair's birthday, Amelia put some of it on all of us and it's like the Traveling Pants of lip gloss. so I bought myself some of my very own.


Amelia sat a few rows back (the show was nearly sold out so there weren't any available seats next to mine). Blair and Amy walked over from the theater to our local college bar and continued their evening (Blair had seen the show the day before). the performance was great, made more so by my unabashed use of binoculars. and of course, during intermission we had to try the signature cocktail. 



after the show we discovered this little alcove room with amazing couches and murals, and obviously had to do a birthday photo shoot


once we got back home, Nick brought out these high-quality wooden recorders, so we had an impromptu jam session. well, most of the actual jamming came from these two. I exclusively play the piano and viola and have never learned a wind or brass instrument (apart from the standard issue 3rd grade plastic recorder). Nick went to states on trumpet in high school and Amelia plays the French horn and teaches middle school band, so she knows all the things. it was such a funny, nerdy and perfect way to end my birthday.


sweet messages, texts, phone calls, and physical cards from friends and family all added to the celebration. Nick asked me how it felt to be 39, and I have to say I agree completely with my grandmother's assessment of her age. she always said that whatever age she was at that moment was her favourite age. sure, I'm not always thrilled with my 39-year-old body (I would gladly trade that in for my 29-year-old body), but you don't birth four babies without some extra stretch marks and squishiness and gray hairs. at least I don't. and the older I get, the more I appreciate authenticity, integrity, and the importance of showing up for each other, rather than keeping up with pop culture or the latest fashions (which is appallingly apparent to anyone who sees me or my closet). I'm more comfortable saying what I mean, and more sure of what I want. and that is to love God, to love my family, to love my friends, and to feel that love in return. as I embark on my 40th trip around the sun, I pray that love continues to deepen and enrich my life and the life of those around me. 


Your turn: What was your favourite birthday celebration as a kid? As an adult? Do you play an instrument? What do (or would) you order for your free birthday drink from Starbucks?

Comments

  1. This all looks wonderful, Kate - aside from the sickness, but that's amazing you bounce back so quickly.
    I adore Broadway and would be all over tickets for a season of shows like that. How cool one fell over your birthday.
    Birthday's aren't a big deal for me, but my favourite as an adult was when my husband arranged an all-day scavenger hunt. He recruited family members and neighbours and had clues and prizes hidden all over our town. It was epic. He and the kids planned for MONTHS and it was every bit as special as they had hoped for.
    I have never had a Starbucks drink in my life, so I guess mine is TBD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we've talked about our mutual love for musical theater before! I just love everything about it. The music, the acting, the set, the costumes, the dancing, and all together the whole is more than the sum of the parts!

      That scavenger hunt sounds SO fun!! Oh my goodness, did you blog about it? I would love to read the details. That's amazing that so many people were involved. I bet they all had just as much fun planning it as you had completing it.

      Never, never ever a Starbucks drink? Haha. Growing up in Seattle Starbucks was just so ubiquitous for me (not that we went that often, but I have many memories of going with my dad and ordering a non-caffeinated drink like steamed milk, or they used to have these berry smoothies that were pretty good). You have certainly saved yourself a bundle of money avoiding it!!

      Delete
  2. Happy belated birthday! Bummer that you felt under the weather, but amazing that you mostly recovered in time to celebrate. Maybe it's just me, but I cannot believe all that you packed in on your birthday. I thought the swan song was the friends coming over, but then there was musical theater and a recorder jam session and my jaw dropped. How many hours were in this day? It looks so fun and I chuckled at you requesting the chair and not minding at all that you got what you asked for.

    How weird is it that I, too, have NEVER had a drink from Starbucks? I don't drink coffee. My birthday, Dec. 30th, was mostly glossed over as a kid - my brother's bday is Dec 27th . . . festivities mostly fizzled by the time it was 5 days after Christmas and 2 days after the 'other' king's bday. ;) We went to a local pizza place with our neighbors and their 5 boys when I was turning 5. We lived in Davenport, Iowa. The waitress misread by dad's illegible handwriting and the whole restaurant sang happy b-day to 'Ernie' instead of my real name. It was upsetting at the time, but it's an epic memory. As an adult, Coach threw me a surprise b-day party on NYE the year I turned 39, because he said it was the first day of my 40th year or something. I was VERY surprised. He surprised me and took the day off on my b-day the year Tank arrived on Dec. 5th. We'd gone to an out of state wedding that weekend. My bday was on a Monday and I was wiped. So that was a great surprise to have him home. I do not play an instrument. I always wanted to play the tin whistle, similar to the recorder. My folks paid for Pat to have those lessons and to save money they said he could just teach me. Well, you can imagine how having a pompous, 1 year younger brother give me lessons went.

    Your wonderful outlook and approach to life (I laughed at your take on your fashion sense- same, sister, SAME), faith, and family are a true inspiration. Thanks for sharing that here. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much goodness in this comment; thanks for that! I didn't know the origin story to your blog name (I'm assuming that's where Ernie comes from!). Oh my goodness, I can only imagine how upsetting that would be at age 5. And double whammy of toughness to have a post-Christmas and post-sibling birthday.

      That is absolutely insane that Pat got the lessons and then was supposed to teach you. Even more insight into your family dynamics! Wow. When life calms down for you (if it ever does), you should totally get yourself some lessons. One of my friends recently started taking an adult ballet class (something she never got to do as a kid) and LOVES it. Are you familiar with Jen Fulwiler's book Your Blue Flame? She's a hilarious Catholic writer and talks about how we each have these passions often since childhood, and it's important to nourish those passions even in small ways.

      I love the surprise 39th birthday party!! Nick threw me a surprise 30th birthday party that has become infamous because the ruse was that the two of us were going to go to one of our favourite restaurants, just the two of us. Unbeknownst to me, he had arranged for about ten friends to meet us there and then hired a party bus to pick us up at the restaurant and drive us around afterwards. I decided two days beforehand that I wanted to try a new fancy French restaurant downtown, called the original restaurant and canceled the reservation, and booked a table for two at the new French place. I casually told Nick this the day before. He somehow managed to salvage it, beg for a table big enough to seat the whole party at the French place with one day's notice for a Saturday night, and everyone showed up at the new restaurant including the party bus. Ha! When I walked in and saw everyone sitting there and the wheels started turning, I was like "ohhhhhh my goodness.... I am the literal worst" hahaha!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

whine and cheese

eight months

what's good for the goose {my first foray into therapy}